Wednesday 28 November 2012

Brajesh's Review: Daylight Robbery - Surender Mohan Pathak


Only people who grew-up in the cow belt around the 80s will understand the role Surender Mohan Pathak played as a window to the world of crime :)

He was a key influencer in shaping our world-view of things. So when I saw an English translation at a Landmark sale, I couldn't resist picking it up. Reading this after so many years was still as satisfying, and it is reflected in my rating.

I liked the quality of translation as well as print. However what really surprised me was how engrossed I was in a story which was set in the 80s and completely outdated in many ways. I could clearly understand the reasons which made SMP such a phenomenon. Fast paced story, neat clever tricks, detailed character building, usage of North Indian landscape and an easy free flowing narration, no wonder he rocked the 80s.

I will probably pick-up another one of his translations soon. Don't miss the pop art cover of the book (couple of B&W ones from other books are also a part of this print).

Rating : 3.5 / 5



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...